MARCH OF DIMES, NEBRASKA & WESTERN IOWA MARKET
About The March of Dimes, Nebraska & Western Iowa Market
The March of Dimes works to end premature birth and other problems that threaten our babies. We help moms have full-term pregnancies and healthy babies. If something goes wrong, we offer information and comfort to families. We research the reasons why babies are born too soon or very sick and work on prevention.
Programs & Services Offered
- Outreach programs and prenatal education materials and information.
- NICU Family Support Specialist program provides emotional and educational support to families whose babies are in the NICU and to moms on bed rest at two hospitals in Omaha.
- Educational materials and referral
- Professional education opportunities for medical professionals who specialize in obstetrics and premature birth.
- Patient advocacy and medical research
- Parent dinners and discussion groups at Bergan Mercy hospital and The Nebraska Medical Center
- Speakers Bureau
Did You Know?
- Every three hours, a baby in Nebraska is born prematurely. Babies who are born too small, too soon, may die or suffer life-long health consequences.
- Each year, there are more than 410,000 premature births nationwide; there are more than 2,500 premature births in Nebraska.
- The cost associated with premature birth in the United States is approximately $26.2 billion each year.
You Can Help
- $10 provides a Teen-to-Teen video and educational materials for high schools or organizations that work with young people.
- $25 provides a Parent Care Kit for families with babies in the NICU.
- $50 provides a six-month supply of smoking cessation educational materials for one organization that serves young women.
- $100 provides six "Baby Basics" books to a community clinic.
- $250 provides Becoming a Mom curriculum to a clinic serving low income women plus additional material.
- $500 provides “Becoming a Mom” curriculum to two clinics serving low income women plus additional materials.